This article is meant for not only business owners, but individuals who provide search engine optimization services as well. From our many years of providing SEO services in Utah, and the rest of the United States, we have taught the must haves in order to decide if you or your client is truly ready for internet marketing. The key is to make sure that everyone has a mutual understanding of commitment, expectations and dedication. By qualifying the situation you can make sure that both the client and the SEO expert are in positions to succeed. After all the most successful campaigns are supposed to be a complete win-win scenario for everyone.
1. Establish The Understanding And Benefits Of A Strong Online Presence:
Many times business owners or general decision makers do not fully appreciate the benefits to a strong online presence that high search engine rankings can help create. In order for everyone to be happy it is important that the client realizes that a search engine optimization campaign is really about making a sound long-term business investment. If you are a business owner considering adding SEO to your marketing strategies make sure that you do proper research. We suggest looking at case studies online, finding examples of not only direct financial benefits, but also the increase in brand awareness SEO can provide. If you are looking to provide internet marketing services to someone it is very necessary to analyze the expectations and understandings of a prospective client.
2. Have A Desire To Invest Long Term:
Some businessmen/companies want to simply dip their toe in the pool of online marketing. We have found that people who want to try SEO for a couple months are rarely, if ever someone that you can work with. Simply put search engine optimization takes time. Very few industries and websites are in a position where there can be a return in just a few months. As much as you may want to say “yes”, it is important to resist this temptation. In general the clients who are only looking to invest for a couple of months to see if it works are not putting themselves in a position to succeed. We would suggest waiting for the clients who have the desire and patience to see the results they want. If you are a business owner please understand that SEO is not a flash in the pan, instant gratification marketing avenue.
3. Do Not Look At SEO As Life Or Death:
In a nutshell this means to make sure that you/they have the budget set aside. Yes, every company and search engine expert has different rates and commitment times, but regardless to make money you need to spend money. This concern however is not just limited to those who have smaller budgets. As a Utah SEO Firm we have seen several multi-million dollar companies who have the budget, yet do not see the importance of SEO.
When performing these types of services it is essential to avoid two situations.
1. The first situation is someone who is starting a company and wants SEO to start bringing in revenue. The problem here is that they usually do not have the budget or patience for search engines to bring them the financial results they need. Typically these clients are very antsy about the situation, and if they do not see money coming in the doors within the first few months they either do not have the patience or money to continue their campaign. Avoid a situation like this, not because you do not want to help, but because ninety percent of the time they will feel like you wasted their time and they got nothing to show for it.
2. The second situation is working with a company that does have the budget but only wants to half-heartedly invest in SEO. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to please a CEO who is constantly down your throat, and who looks at internet marketing as an expense, not an investment. The truth of the matter is that unfortunately things like company prestige, worth and reputation do not always mean they are willing to give respect to their online presence. Make sure that you are not working with people who are constantly looking for a reason to cut their campaign short.
SEO takes time, love, dedication, patience and budget. If you are providing these services be selective of your clientele and only work with people who will give you the resources you need for your skills to shine.
Business owners: make sure that you have the understanding and desire to engage in an online campaign. If it is something you are unsure of ask yourself: “Is this a marketing decision that I am willing to invest in for at least a year?”
Share your thoughts, lessons and understandings below:You may also like: